The summer months have arrived. To make the most of your summer and ease the burden of home maintenance and repair, here are 10 tips to keeping your home in tip-top shape.
- Furnace and Air Conditioner Maintenance – With the change of the season, you should change your air filter and consider getting a tune-up for summer. There is nothing worse then going into the summer months and having the A/C go out. Have it checked out now and to save you hassle later.
- Smoke Detector – Make sure you test your smoke and carbon monoxide detector and change the battery. If your detector is older than 10 years, it’s time to replace it.
- Chimney Cleaning – Although you will not be using your fireplace again until the fall, now is the perfect time to get it swept and cleaned. This time of year is less busy for the chimney sweep companies, so you can get it done and have it ready to go by the time the leaves start to fall.
- Ceiling Fans – Mostly likely your ceiling fans have been idol over the winter months or it’s time to reverse the circulation. Take a minute and inspect the fan, clean off the blades and make sure they are balanced.
- Cleaning Gutters and Downspouts – While the weather is nice and warm, now would be a great time to clean out your gutters and downspouts. It’s recommend that gutters get cleaned out once per year and twice a year if there are a lot of overhanging trees.
- Exterior Caulking – Take the time to thoroughly inspect the caulking around your windows and doors. Bugs and ants are attracted to the kitchen area, by adding fresh caulking to the doors and windows, this will help prevent those little intruders.
- Pressure Washing – Your siding, sidewalks and decks need a good scrub this time of year. Consider pressure washing them for superior appearance as well as maintaining them for optimal use.
- Pool Maintenance – Depending where you live, your pool probably hasn’t been used since last year. Scrub down the walls of the pool as well as leveling out the water and add the necessary chemicals. Cleaning your pool does take time, but the benefits of swimming all summer will be well worth it.
- Clean the Garbage Disposal – Even the garbage disposal needs a good cleaning. Follow this website to learn how to clean your disposal with products you already have.
- Exterior Paint Touch-up – Now is the time to go outside and touch-up the exterior paint. If you no longer have the paint color for your touch-up project, take a picture and go to your paint store to have them match the photo. Or in same cases, the paint store may send out a rep that can match the paint for you.
Read full article here.